The thing is, as a female I constantly am comparing myself to everything. People passing me in the street, women in magazines, celebrities, models, strangers, students, co-workers. I guess it's just something that some of us women do sometimes. Not everyone is plagued by the idea that they need to constantly compete with some illusion, but every once in awhile we all fall prey to the feeling. I have a friend who has a great blog on body image and eating and I feel that this article talks a little about why we women compare. check it out while I continue this thought.
So I was in a weak spot awhile ago, thinking to myself about that I wanted to look like in not only the next coming weeks of summer but the next years of my life. I saw lots of very thin, seemingly perfect bikini babes while the sun was out and got insecure- we all do from time to time.
Human character flaw.
I also was thinking about some super personal things about my life and the people I associate with, and how I can get more control over my life.
It was just a little overwhelming!!
Combined with these feelings I associate in a mainly male social group, and being the chill girl that I am find my femininity totally erased by the overflow of testosterone. I am just a boy to them. That is kind of depressing sometimes, ha ha. I have the love-hate dilemma of being treated as, "One of the boys".
It's just a lot to take in.
So I was feeling particularly down at one point in the week, and I'm not sure I shared this in my prior post but I was talking with a friend of mine. I was telling him a little about my life, not complaining or looking for a pity party, I just needed to tell someone else about how I felt and he shared this little gem with me. I don't think I meant anything of it at all but in reality it was an extremely comforting thing to me at that given time. It's also something I've taken the liberty of writing on a post-it note and sticking on my mirror-- when I'm feeling especially competitive against myself I just look at myself and remember what he said:
She's not better than you, she's just different than you.
and that's EXACTLY the truth and exactly what I need to hear sometimes. Don't let yourself get you down haha.
xoxo.
No comments:
Post a Comment